Tuesday, September 23, 2025

Harrisburg March For Life

I am so glad there's a March in Harrisburg now, as the last time I was able to get to DC was in 2019 - when I had to face reality that my arthritis could no longer handle the long times of standing and walking. Including the pre-rally, this one is only about 90 minutes, and the walk is around the Capitol complex - a good stretch but nothing like going from the Washington Monument to the Supreme Court by Constitution Avenue. I loved doing it - I always left the rally early so I could see the March coming up - but my knees no longer did!

When we first got there, it didn't look to promising... but that changed quickly (the BNT bus got there early).

I stayed with some from Westminster for a while, but finally decided the visual wasn't very good. But I wanted to get a shot of Ryan Bomberger on the screen (from the Bomberger company in Lancaster). The best way to explain his mission and vision is to paste here what is in the introduction of his foundation's website:
Ryan has a rather unique perspective of the innate nature of Purpose. His biological mother was raped yet courageously rejected the violence of abortion. Ryan was adopted and loved by a diverse family of fifteen. Today, he is an Emmy® Award-winning Creative Professional who founded The Radiance Foundation, a faith-based, life-affirming, educational nonprofit, along with his amazing wife, Bethany. He is a factivist, international public speaker, columnist, educator, and author of the powerful book, Not Equal: Civil Rights Gone Wrong. He and Bethany also co-authored the ground-breaking children’s books He is He, She is She, and Pro-Life Kids!

When I started looking for a better spot, I had the biggest and most pleasant surprise - saw Kitty, from my old walking club! It evoked such good memories - she was one of the few in the club that walked as fast as I did. We both miss those days! 

It didn't take long for the crowds to arrive. I decided to move higher up. From this spot I noticed something that made me rather nervous - a couple of people on top of that building in the middle. Then using the zoom on my cell, I realized they were wearing military greens and were holding what looked like oversized binoculars and kept scanning the area. 


And for the duration of the rally, that helicopter kept circling. Whew! I was relieved.

Preparing for the March. I don't like being in the middle of the crowd, so I circled around the grassy area to get to the front and see them coming (as I always did in DC). 




That was always a highlight for me in DC; I am so glad we have them in Harrisburg as well. 



And of course there were tributes to Charlie Kirk.

It's so encouraging to see the number of young people there. 


The banner reads "We Are the Pro-Life Generation."

Before heading to the bus pickup spot, since I had time, I stopped at Strawberry Square (it's actually a building) and found some REAL good coffee; I asked the lady how strong her coffee was and she said, "It IS rather strong" - in a concerned tone. I told her I'm Brazilian and like my coffee with an attitude. She smiled and said, "Oh, you want Espresso!" They also had "corn cookies"; I decided to try one, and... I need to find a place around here that has them - they were the best!

What made it even more fun is that I bumped into three from Westminster and we sat at the table and had a good time while waiting for the bus (I mean, coach, as my friend and BNT tour director Patti always stressed).


1 comment:

  1. I have known Ryan Bomberger since he was a little boy. His parents (Henry and Andi) were always active in our community and lived nearby. I just talked to his sister at a Lititz grocery store on Saturday. He grew up when Bomberger's Store was at Elm. His dad has passed away, but his mom is still living. One of his nephews (now part of Bomberger's Store) is in Montana hunting with our grandson Nathan right now. Doris

    ReplyDelete